Sunday, July 22, 2012

Preparing for the Sandblaster

When we bought the house there was a drop ceiling on the first floor.  We removed the drop ceiling to reveal beautiful oak beams and joists holding up an old barn board ceiling.  Now that we have fixed most of the structural problems with the house, we are cleaning up all of the problems with the finished ceiling on the first floor so that we can sandblast all of the beams and the ceiling.  One section of the ceiling had been repaired and patched in the 70's.  Since there was a drop ceiling at the time, the owners were not overly concerned with the looks of the repairs because they were not visible.  As I started to fix all of the little problems with this section, I realized it would probably be easier to remove all of the floor boards and fix the entire section.  Here is a picture of the ceiling with the floor boards removed:



Here is the floor from above:



I ended up removing about 100 square feet of mostly new (i.e. from the 70s) floor boards. I was able to fix some other problems that were causing huge slopes and inconsistancies in the floor on the second floor.  
I needed to replace the boards, but I didn't want to use any of the big boards that I have saved so far in the renovation because I need them for the finished floor.  Long story short, I tracked down someone who had some boards from an old barn that had been demolished in upstate New York.  I drove an hour from our house to some old, rundown factory in Oxford, MA where this guy was storing the lumber.  It actually looked great, so I picked out a bunch of boards and loaded them on the my trusty Subaru.




I spent the next day or two replacing the floor boards and I think it came out great. Here is a picture from below.


Here is a picture from the second floor.


Next step is to call the sandblaster on Monday and schedule some blasting!


No comments:

Post a Comment